Wednesday 12 October 2011

A light bulb moment!

I often sit out on my deck with a glass of wine at the end of a hard days renovation/gardening. I have a little old chair I use as a table. It's a bit wonky but does the job. As I swing on the patio deck chair I love to look out at the sunset over the mountain and relax. Just one problem! The top rail of the deck surround is right at eye level. I've been wanting to change it for ages but was wracking my brain on how to make it without spending a fortune. I intend to put marine grade cable across there instead of the wooden rails, but wanted to put perhaps a tube of steel along the top as a safety rail. Well, to cut a long story short, I figured out if I just cut the top rail at the position of the poles, the middle pole is flat, just turn it and TA-DA! Instant safety rail, which is flat enough to allow a view AND will hold my glass of wine, plate of sandwiches or a cup of tea! The only cost has been 7 new brackets with scrolls on them. 2 on each end, one in the middle on the far side as the plank is wider than the pole and needs support on the overhang, and two in the middle to add extra strength. (Plus they look pretty) I intend to do the whole deck which is in effect, 3 sections. 21 brackets, and a new coat of paint.  Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

David my friend, attaching the brackets.
View toward the east side of the house. You can see Oscar's cat enclosure on my deck, which also doubles as the drying washing space.

 
  Here are some photos of some pretty flowers and my kitty kat, just because.

$3 roses! Supermarket end of week special. Isn't that orange just gorgeous! Reminds me of the sunset!

$2 lillies in the op shop vase I recently purchased.
Oscar the Siamese looking innocent. (Yeah, right!)
  Hope all in your life is going well!
Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line! Let me know what you think of all this dishevelment!